"I know. But make sure you're getting enough prey and rest, and remember...the final responsibility is mine. You don't hold the whole Clan in your paws. I just need you to do what you can. I'll take care of the rest."—Firestar to Dovewing The Last Hope, page 55
Rusty, Firepaw and Fireheart
The first kittypet to become leader, the "fire will save our Clan" prophecy, and more
Rusty is a kittypet who lives near the forest.
One day, he went outside and met his friend, Smudge, who told him about the wild forest cats in the nearby forest, and how "scary" it was. Despite Smudge's warning, Rusty went out into the forest anyway, and was ambushed by Graypaw, a forest cat.
Two other cats appeared one was Bluestar, the leader of ThunderClan and Lionheart, a big warrior who was Graypaw's mentor. Bluestar invited Rusty to join her clan the next day. He kept up well, and made it to the Clan's camp. Longtail, a new warrior, challenged Rusty to a fight to prove his worth.
Rusty's collar snapped, signifying his ties with twolegs had broken similarly. Rusty won the fight and, in doing so, became a part of ThunderClan.
Rusty now became an apprentice, he started out sharing Tigerclaw and Lionheart as both his and his friends mentor, but eventually he became apprenticed to Bluestar. Bluestar gave him the apprentice name Firepaw. His old life as a kittypet was over and his new life as a wild forest cat began. Firepaw and Graypaw spent most of their time together training with Ravenpaw.
Lionheart and Tigerclaw were their mentors. The day Rusty joined the ThunderClan cats, Redtail died in battle after fighting RiverClan, a rival warrior clan. Lionheart then became deputy, much to Tigerclaw's anger.
Firepaw kept training, getting better and better, each day. The Clan now only had five apprentices; Firepaw, Graypaw, Ravenpaw, Sandpaw and Dustpaw. Both Sandpaw and Dustpaw didn't like the newcomer, and they let that be known, as they ridiculed and taunted him for his kittypet roots.
Firepaw learned fast about the Warrior Code. He met other Clan cats and went to Gatherings. He seemed to like the medicine cat, Spottedleaf. When Firepaw was one day hunting for his Clan, he ran into the former ShadowClan medicine cat, Yellowfang.
He was that one stupid cat nobody liked. She was very hostile towards him, despite her obviously being sick and wounded. After they share a rabbit Firepaw caught, they are found by a patrol, and Firepaw lands in serious trouble.
She was allowed to stay at the ThunderClan camp after Bluestar's descision. Ravenpaw hinted numerous times that the death of Redtail was not what it seemed. Ravenpaw tells Firepaw that Tigerclaw killed Redtail.
Then ShadowClan attacked and killed Spottedleaf and they steal some kits. Lionheart was killed and Tigerclaw became deputy. Yellowfang goes to save the kits. Firepaw takes the opportunity to sneak Ravenpaw away.
After fighting ShadowClan to make sure Brokenstar was no longer leader,Firepaw and Graypaw became Graystripe and Fireheart. They then rescue two kits,whom of which belong to a RiverClan queen,from a river when it flooded. They discover RiverClan's fish are poisoned,and they feed the Riverclan cats food from their territory.
Now Bluestar sent him and Graystripe to find them. This was their first mission as warriors. They search for a few days and they find the missing Clan. Tallstar, the leader, allows the two to lead them home.
Fireheart and Graystripe help carry a kit named Gorsekit for Morningflower. They also meet Onewhisker and the deputy Deadfoot. When they arrived back at WindClan territory, Tallstar has Onewhisker and Deadfoot take the two warriors home.
On their way back the cross into RiverClan territory, where they ran into a RiverClan patrol. Leopardfur, the deputy, and her warriors attack the small group. Then, a ThunderClan patrol arrives and helps fight the RiverClan warriors.
He stops training his apprentice after that and Fireheart now has two apprentices to train while Graystripe was chasing after Silverstream. Fireheart later discovers his sister, Princess, after visiting the twoleg place.
Then Cinderpaw was hit by a monster, Fireheart told her not to but she didn't listen and she went to see what Tigerclaw wanted because Bluestar was too ill to come. She survived the injury and later became Yellowfang's apprentice, since she could not be a warrior with a damaged leg.
Fireheart then suspects Tigerclaw had wanted to kill Bluestar. They find bones smelling of ShadowClan scent and Yellowfang suspects it was Brokenstar's. With only one warrior, Fireheart left at camp, Brokenstar and his rogues attack their camp and Graystripe saves Fireheart coming looking for Tigerclaw.
Ravenpaw tells them all they needed to know. Fireheart asked some RiverClan cats about Oakheart’s death and uncovered some secrets that weren't even worth telling his friend. A flood over flowed RiverClan territory and so Fireheart and Graystripe gave them prey.
Some time later, Silverstream gave birth to two kits, but she died. Cinderpelt tried to save her but was unable to. The two kits were named Featherkit and Stormkit. Fireheart then discovered that Tigerclaw was talking with Brokentail and his rogues.
They attacked ThunderClan and Tigerclaw attempted to kill Bluestar but Fireheart and Graystripe stopped him. Fireheart than told the whole Clan what he had heard from Ravenpaw and from what he knew himself.
He has some help from Whitestorm. Darkstripe found any way to bother Fireheart and make his duties difficult. Fireheart kept training Cloudpaw and he later has to choose mentors for Ashpaw and Fernpaw with the help of Cinderpelt and Yellowfang. Dustpelt became Ashpaw's mentor and Darkstripe became Fernpaw's mentor.
Then Littlecloud and Whitethroat, the ShadowClan cats asked for help from ThunderClan. Greencough has spread through ShadowClan and killed their deputy and new leader Nightstar. Bluestar was so far in to depression and anger to help but Cinderpelt offered her assistance.
Fireheart had enough problems but then he got one more. He found out Cloudpaw had been letting twolegs feed him. Then worst of all the twolegs move and took Cloudpaw in a cage with them. He was unable to help his nephew.
Swiftpaw, Longtail's apprentice, became angry along with Brightpaw and Thornpaw because they didn't become warriors. Although, they were the same age. Swiftpaw and Brightpaw went to attack the dogs but sadly, Swiftpaw was killed and Brightpaw was badly injured.
She survived but was blind on one side. Cloudtail never left her side the whole time. Fireheart then figured out Tigerstar was feeding the pack of dogs and was planning to lead them to ThunderClan so they could destroy the Clan.
Fireheart told Cloudtail to take the Clan to Sunningrocks while he and some of the fastest warriors could leer the dogs away. One by one the cats took turns running, letting the dogs chase them. Fireheart was the last cat to leer the dogs to the gorge, Tigerstar stopped him and pinned Fireheart down.
The pack leader grabbed Fireheart and almost kills him. Bluestar appeared and attacked the dogs. She fell off the gorge and Fireheart jumped in after her.
During the floods he had learned from Graypool, a RiverClan elder, that Oakheart had mated with Bluestar and she gave birth to two kits but she gave them to Oakheart so she could save her Clan and become deputy.
Before she died both of her children told her that they forgave her for giving them up. Graystripe had rejoined the Clan and arrived to help Fireheart. Tigerstar appeared ready to finish off Bluestar but Graystripe stopped him.
He travels with Cinderpelt to the Moonstone in Mothermouth. They meet Onewhisker's patrol. Fireheart tells him of the sad news. Then they keep in traveling to Highstone where the Moonstone is located.
Fireheart sleeps next to the Moonstone and is visited by the StarClan warriors. He was visited by nine of his former warriors companions.
After he was named Firestar, Bluestar gave him a new prophecy.
Four will become two, Lion and Tiger will meet in battle and Blood will rule the forest.
Firestar then makes his reliable friend Whitestorm, into his first deputy. Graystripe hadn't proven himself as a trusted ThunderClan warrior yet to become deputy. Darkstripe tries to kill Sorrelkit so Firestar banishes him.
At a Gathering, Tigerstar reveals he plans to make all four Clans into one called TigerClan with all four leaders ruling over the land. Leopardstar, the new leader of RiverClan, had been visiting Tigerstar for a while.
Tallstar then joins forces with Firestar to fight TigerClan but they soon find out Tigerstar had brought BloodClan in to the forest to help fight ThunderClan and WindClan. Graystripe wanted to check on his kits at TigerClan so he and Ravenpaw go to check on them.
Whitestorm was sadly killed but before he died he requested that Graystripe be his successor. Firestar then makes Graystripe the new deputy. Firestar died after fighting Scourge but he came back since he has nine lives.
Firestar's Nine Lives
First Life: Lionheart gave him Courage like a lion.
Second Life: Redtail gave him Justice so he could judge everyone fairly.
Third Life: Silverstream gave him Loyalty so he would be faithful to his clanmates.
Fourth Life: Runningwind gave him Energy so he would be never tired while being leader.
Fifth Life: Brindleface gave him Protection so he would defend the weak and helpless like a mother defends her kits.
Sixth Life: Swiftpaw gave him Mentoring so he could guide his Clan.
Seventh Life: Yellowfang gave him Compassion so he would help anyone who needs him.
Eighth Life: Spottedleaf gave him Love so he may love all his Clanmates.
Ninth Life: Bluestar gave him Noblity so he came to be a wise leader, and she gave him his name, Firestar.
- Mother: Nutmeg
- Father: Jake
- Mate: Sandstorm
- Daughters: Leafpool and Squirrelflight
- Grandsons: Lionblaze, Jayfeather, Alderheart and Juniperkit
- Granddaughters: Hollyleaf, Sparkpelt and Dandelionkit
- Great-Grandkits: Hollytuft, Sorrelstripe, Fernsong
- Grandneice: Whitewing
- Great-Grand nieces: Dovewing and Ivypool
- Great-Great-Grand Nephews/Nieces: Unknown
- He may be based on a cat Kate knew.
- The Erins believed that after the first arc, Firestar's story was pretty much over, so they started the next arc from a fresh viewpoint.
- Firestar's love relationship with Spottedleaf was never shown that often when she was alive because he was only a new apprentice at the time. There probably wouldn't have been more relationship if she lived because medicine cats can't have mates.
- Firestar's mother, Nutmeg, probably does not know about him becoming a wild cat.
- The Erins confirmed that he has never had feelings for Cinderpelt.
- It was confirmed he is not related to the ThunderClan founder, Thunderstar.
- In an Erin Hunter Chat, it is revealed that Scourge and Firestar share the same father, Jake, and Firestar is noted to look exactly like him.
- In the same chat, it is also revealed that he loses a life helping Ravenpaw and Barley.
- One of Leafstar's kits, Firefern, is named after him.
- Fireheart was said to be the deputy after Lionheart died in The Elders' Concern , even though Tigerclaw became deputy after Lionheart.
- Kate stated that Firestar was not killed by the burning tree, but instead died of his wounds from the battle. Dovewing only imagined she saw him get up and walk away, and the lightning striking the tree snapped her back into reality.
- Prior to dying, Firestar was battle-scarred, having a scar on his flank, and had a torn ear. When dying and going to StarClan, his wounds have healed.
- If Kate could give him a human name, she would name him Colin.
- In response to a question about why Firestar wasn't just killed by Tigerstar, Kate Cary stated that they couldn't let Firestar be killed by the evil, but that it was essential for him to die due to "destiny and stuff".
Refrences and Citations
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Revealed in Into the Wild
- ↑ Revealed on Kate's blog
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 37
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 9
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Revealed in Battles of the Clans, page 110
- ↑ Revealed in Dawn, page 52
- ↑ Revealed in Long Shadows, page 240
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Revealed in Fading Echoes, page 219
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 Revealed in Erin Hunter Chat 1
- ↑ Revealed in Erin Hunter Chat 2
- ↑ Revealed in Erin Hunter Chat 3
- ↑ Revealed in Erin Hunter Chat 4
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Revealed in Erin Hunter Chat 5
- ↑ Revealed in Tallstar's Revenge, page manga
- ↑ Revealed in The Rescue, page 86
- ↑ Revealed in The Elders' Concern
- ↑ Revealed on Kate's official blog.
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 Revealed in The Darkest Hour, page 257
- ↑ Revealed on Kate's blog
- ↑ Revealed on Kate's blog