"Friendship is worthless. You have learned an important lesson, one that I could have never taught you. But I will teach you much more. There'll come a day when you'll be so powerful, you'll have no need for friends. And when that day comes, I promise you will never regret that you chose to be a warrior."—Tigerstar to Lionpaw in Dark River, page 322
Tigerkit, Tigerpaw, Tigerclaw
Tigerstar is a long-legged, thick-furred, dark brown tabby tom with unusually long, sharp front claws, and pale amber eyes. One of his ears is split in a deep "V" shape near the top, along with a scar on the bridge of his nose, and his pelt is criss-crossed with long battle scars.
Tigerkit was born to Leopardfoot and Pinestar with two other littermates, Mistkit and Nightkit in ThunderClan. When he was only one moon old, his sisters, Mistkit and Nightkit, died due to sickness and weakness. Tigerkit was born very weak, since his mother gave birth to him a moon early, but then became strong after his sisters died. A short time after he was born, Tigerkit's father, Pinestar, left ThunderClan to become a kittypet.
When he was born, Goosefeather had told a prophecy about how Tigerkit shouldn't have survived. This turned out to be true, as he became evil when he was an apprentice being trained by Thistleclaw.
Tigerpaw was the weakest, but he became the strongest, and lived to be an apprentice. Sunstar gave him Thistleclaw as a mentor. Thistleclaw gave Tigerpaw the thirst for blood and temptation for battle.
Then, he was finally given his warrior name, Tigerclaw, after his unusually large front claws. He slept with his mentor, Thistleclaw, in the warriors den. Time passed and Thistleclaw eventually died, although, in his opinion, Thistleclaw should have been deputy, but Bluefur took his place.
Tigerclaw's nature was an ambition to become leader. The deputy was Redtail, and because of his ambition, Tigerclaw decided to kill the innocent deputy, using an excuse that the RiverClan deputy, Oakheart, had killed him.
The only other cat who knew was Tigerclaw's own apprentice, Ravenpaw, who watched in the shadows. Tigerclaw seemed to know this, and wanted to kill his own apprentice. He told everyone mean rumors about Ravenpaw, and everyone was hostile to the poor apprentice.
So his friends Graypaw and Firepaw helped him escape to a nearby farm with a loner named Barley, and has been living there ever since. Tigerclaw's evil plot ended badly, since Bluestar needed a new deputy and she chose Lionheart, but he died in a ShadowClan battle, so Bluestar chose Tigerclaw, letting him gain more power.
Still, Tigerclaw wanted more power. He asked a group of ShadowClan rogues and rogues from Twolegplace, (Russetfur, Blackfoot, Boulder, Jaggedtooth, and Brokenstar, the former leader in ShadowClan) to help him take over ThunderClan, promising them a great future. After failing again, Bluestar exiled him out of ThunderClan. That led to Fireheart being made deputy.
Tigerclaw lead a firce band of rogues. With their help, he plotted revenge on ThunderClan and Fireheart. He tormented ThunderClan patrols, killed Runningwind, and almost killed Fireheart.
Tigerclaw and his band of rogues joined ShadowClan since they were low in numbers and needed a new leader. ShadowClan accepted Tigerclaw because, Runningnose, the ShadowClan medicine-cat told them a great leader would rise upon them.
Tigerclaw became their leader, and took the name Tigerstar. He then tried to kill ThunderClan any way he could. He often visited RiverClan and spoke with Leopardstar. He then lured a pack of dogs towards ThunderClan's camp, but that plan failed due to Bluestar and Fireheart.
His old enemy, Fireheart, became Firestar after the death of Bluestar. Tigerstar found out about Bluestar's kits living in RiverClan. He then formed TigerClan with RiverClan and asked if WindClan and ThunderClan would join, but they refused.
He then visited Scourge and brought BloodClan to the forest. He had Stonefur killed by Darkstripe and his deputy, Blackfoot, but he allowed Featherpaw and Stormpaw to live. Ravenpaw, Firestar and Graystripe went into "TigerClan" territory and rescued the prisoners. Graystripe was too scared to leave his kits in TigerClan.
When TigerClan and BloodClan met ThunderClan and WindClan at Fourtrees, Firestar told Scourge of all the terrible things Tigerstar had done. Tigerstar ordered BloodClan to attack. BloodClan didn't listen. Scourge said that there would be no battle.
Tigerstar turned against Scourge and shouted that he was a traitor and pounced at him, but Scourge slashed Tigerstar in the throat to his stomach with his sharp claws, and Tigerstar died, all nine lives ripped from him at once, and was no more. Firestar was astonished by the way he died.
There was peace in the forest and TigerClan joined with WindClan and ThunderClan and became LionClan to fight BloodClan.
When Tigerstar died, he became a resident of the Dark Forest. He discovered that he could visit other cats in their dreams, and began to train his two sons, Brambleclaw, and Hawkfrost. He still wanted revenge on Firestar, so he used his sons for this.
Hawkfrost followed his father's wishes, but Brambleclaw was still not over Squirrelflight, and he did not want her to hate him more by him killing Firestar.
So when Firestar was stuck in a fox trap, Brambleclaw killed Hawkfrost, and saved Firestar. Tigerstar’s plan was foiled again by his own son.
During Dark River, Tigerstar and Hawkfrost appear to Lionpaw and start teaching him Dark Forest moves in hope that he will carry out what they didn't get to finish. At the end of Eclipse, he discovers they have taken control of his dreams and made him think he was going to kill Heatherpaw. Lionpaw loses trust in them and tries to forget that he was being trained by two of the most notorious villains of the Dark Forest.
During The Last Hope, Tigerstar led the Dark Forest to fight against the Clans. However, they lost, and Tigerstar did not manage to kill Firestar, but got killed by Firestar instead. Tigerstar faded into nothingness, never to be seen again, butFirestar was killed by a burning branch that fell on him. Tigerstar didn't get to kill Firestar himself, but he got his revenge.
- In an interview with Victoria Holmes, she mentioned that Tigerstar's original name in the first draft of Into the Wild was Hammerclaw, but was changed because cats don't know what hammers are.
- He was named Tigerclaw because of his huge, "fearsome" claws.
- His son Brambleclaw is a spitting image of him.
- In an Erin Hunter Chat, it was revealed that both Sasha and Goldenflower truly did love Tigerstar, but Vicky has stated that, for him, it was more "of a Spiderleg and Daisy kind of relationship".
- Vicky said that Tigerstar's death was the most fun to write.
- StarClan accepted Tigerstar as a leader because no one else was worthy of the job. He made ShadowClan fearsome and strong again. Vicky has said on her Facebook that this will be explained further in The Ultimate Guide.
- Vicky has stated that his dark ambitions and actions are caused by his natural courage combined with Thistleclaw's mentoring.
- He has been mistakenly said to have died in the battle with BloodClan, despite dying days before.
- In a fan letter, Vicky revealed we may learn more about his ancestors in Pinestar's Choice.
- Tigerstar's greatest fear is fear itself. He is also scared of the Moonstone and physical weakness
- When Scourge struck Tigerstar, his claws hit nine major organs, bleeding to death from his veins, dying from his lungs punctured, liver damaged, and heart ripped. This is why he lost nine lives in one hit.
Grandkits: Two unnamed kits
Cousins: Sandstorm, Darkstripe, Sootfur, Rainwhisker, Sorreltail, Graystripe, Squirrelflight, Leafpool, Molepaw, Cinderheart, Honeyfern, Poppyfrost, Stormfur, Feathertail, Pine That Clings to Rock, Lark That Sings at Dawn, Briarlight, Blossomfall, Bumblestripe, Lionblaze, Jayfeather, Hollyleaf, Molewhisker, Cherryfall, Seedpaw, Lilyheart, Fernsong, Hollytuft, Sorrelstripe, Leafshade, Honeyfur, Larksong, Goosefeather, Moonflower, Bluestar, Snowfur. Mistystar, Mosskit, Stonefur, Whitestorm, Reedwhisker, Perchkit, Pikepaw, Primrosepaw, Cinderheart, Heronwing, Rabbitleap, Poppydawn, Rosetail, Sweetpaw and Thistleclaw
These are the cats that gave Tigerstar his nine lives.
Littlebird gave Tigerstar the life for compassion.
Badgerfang gave a life for training young cats wisely.
Pinestar gave a life for knowing what's behind the border.
Whitetail gave a life for understanding size isn't everything.
Sedgestar gave a life for pride and knowing a Clan can stand alone.
Redscar gave a life for trusting your instincts and to steer the paws of your Clanmates.
Mossheart gave a life for mercy and victory.
Cedarstar gave a life for farsightedness.
Refrences and Citations
- ↑ Revealed in Bluestar's Prophecy, page 360
- ↑ Revealed in Rising Storm, page 185
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 46
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 151
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 3
- ↑ Revealed in Into the Wild, page 45
- ↑ Revealed in Fading Echoes, page 256
- ↑ Revealed in an interview with Victoria Holmes
- ↑ Revealed in Erin Hunter Chat 4
- ↑ Revealed in The Darkest Hour, chapter 6
- ↑ Revealed in Erin Hunter Chat 3
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's facebook page
- ↑ Revealed in Erin Hunter Chat 2
- ↑ Revealed in Erin Hunter Answers Your Questions Summer 2011
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's Facebook page.
- ↑ Revealed in Erin Hunter Answers Your Questions Fall 2010
- ↑ Revealed in Mistystar's Omen, chapter 1
- ↑ Revealed in The Ultimate Guide, page 83
- ↑ Revealed in a letter from Victoria Holmes
- ↑ Revealed on Vicky's Facebook Page
- ↑ Revealed on Erin Hunter Answers Your Questions Summer 2011