The Warrior Code is the law all Clan cats live by, and some loners and rogues.
Below is a list of all the rules in the Warrior Code.
- Defend your Clan, even with your life. You may have friendships with cats from other Clans, but your loyalty must remain to your Clan, as one day you may meet them in battle.
- Do not hunt or trespass on another Clan's territory.
- Elders, queens, and kits must be fed before apprentices and warriors. Unless they have permission, apprentices may not eat until they have hunted to feed the elders. If any warrior or apprentice is sick or injured, they may eat while the elders, queens, and kits are eating.
- Prey is killed only to be eaten. Give thanks to StarClan for its life.
- A kit must be at least six moons old to become an apprentice.
- Newly appointed warriors will keep a silent vigil for one night after receiving their warrior name.
- A cat cannot be made deputy without having mentored at least one apprentice.
- The deputy will become Clan leader when the leader dies, retires or is exiled.
- After the death or retirement of the deputy, the new deputy must be chosen before moonhigh.
- A Gathering of all four Clans is held at the full moon during a truce that lasts for the night. There shall be no fighting among Clans at this time.
- Boundaries must be checked and marked daily. Challenge all trespassing cats.
- No warrior can neglect a kit in pain or danger, even if the kit is from a different Clan.
- The word of the Clan Leader is the warrior code.
- An honorable warrior does not need to kill other cats to win his/her battles, unless they are outside the warrior code or if it is necessary for self-defense.
- A warrior rejects the soft life of a kittypet.
- Each Clan has the right to be proud and independent, but in times of trouble they must forget their boundaries and fight side by side to protect the four. Each Clan must help the others so that no Clan will fall.
The following rules are not stated in the warrior code, but are to be followed:
- Medicine cats may not have a mate or kits.
- Kits must stay in camp until they are apprenticed, and are not allowed to hunt.
- The safety of the Clan is more important than the safety of one cat.
- Clans must not unite together to drive out another Clan.
- Clans must not force another Clan to share territory.
- Enemy patrols must not attack cats if they are on a mission all four Clans agree on.
- Cats cannot eat when going to the Moonstone or Moonpool to speak with StarClan.
Rejected Rules and Codes
- Only cats of pure forest blood can be Clan members.
- Each Clan may only eat the prey they are most suited for.
- All Clan cats must acknowledge that StarClan controlled Clan life.
Breaking the Code
The Warrior Code is often broken in the clans. Most of the rules have been broken in a way.
Breaking the Warrior Code
- Code 1 was broken by Graystripe when he was torn between loyalties in ThunderClan and RiverClan due to his relationship with Silverstream. This rule was also broken by Bluefur with Oakheart, Leafpool with Crowfeather, Fallowtail with Reedfeather and Mapleshade with Appledusk.
- Code 2 is broken on multiple occasions with apprentices crossing boundaries and clans crossing borders.
- Code 3 was broken by Firepaw when catching a rabbit for Yellowfang. It was also broken by Longtail and Darkstripe in Code of the Clans. It is rumored by Graypaw that Sandpaw and Dustpaw broke this code every so often.
- Code 4 was broken by Tigerstar when he and his warriors raised the hill of bones.
- Code 5 was broken by Brokenstar when he made kits into apprentices when the kits were under six moons old. Brokenstar also made these apprentices into warriors when they were under six moons. Bluestar also broke this code when she madeCinderpaw and Brackenpaw into apprentices when they were under six moons.
- Code 6 was broken when Squirrelflight was made a warrior, but did not sit vigil. This fact is conflicted by Code of the Clans.
- Code 7 was broken by Firestar when he made Brambleclaw deputy when he had not mentored an apprentice. However, he was promised to mentor Berrykit.
- Code 8 was broken by Tallstar when he made Onewhisker leader instead of the deputy, Mudclaw.
- Code 9 was broken by Bluestar when she waited too long to name a deputy. This code was also broken by Firestar when he refused to name a deputy after Graystripe was taken by the twolegs.
- Code 10 has been broken by all clans when they fought numerous times during a gathering.
- Code 11 was broken by ShadowClan when they stopped believing in StarClan.
- Code 12 was broken by Russetfur and her patrol when Berrykit was struggling with his tail in a fox trap. This code was also broken by Tigerpaw when he attacked Tiny.
- Code 13 was broken by Fireheart when he refused to battle WindClan when Bluestar planned an attack.
- Code 14 was broken by Brokenstar, Hawkheart, Tigerstar, Hollyleaf, Lionblaze, and Clawface when they killed cats to win their own battles.
- Code 15 was broken by Cloudpaw when he ate food from the twolegs.
Breaking Additional Rules
- Rule 1 was broken by both Yellowfang and Leafpool.
- Rule 2 has been broken by Crookedkit, Oakkit, Lionkit, Jaykit and Hollykit.
- Rule 3 is not known to be broken.
- Rule 4 was broken by ShadowClan when they drove out WindClan.
- Rule 5 is not known to be broken.
- Rule 6 is not known to be broken.
- Rule 7 is not known to be broken.